Being a true boy, Danny is currently obsessed with bugs. He'll drop down to his stomach in the middle of the street to get a closer look at a dead worm. (And he'll even say, "Oooo, dead worm!") Here he is making friends with a ladybug. Ironically, I think it's a bug that has caused him to come home early from school today. What do you think about this:
I see Danny getting bitten by a mosquito last night on the ear (minutes after this photo was taken, in fact). A few minutes later, he starts to develop a huge, red welt and his nose starts running. So I give him a little Benadryl and put some hydrocortisone on it before bedtime. Mark can sometimes have a similar reaction to mosquito bites, too, so I didn't think much of it. This morning, his ear was still pretty swollen, red and tender and his nose was still running. He even felt a little warm. So I sent some Benadryl with him to school and hoped for the best (in my constant struggle to not over-react). An hour later, his teacher calls, saying that he has a 101.6 temperature. So I brought him home and he's just been sleeping and sleeping.
So here's my question to those who know about such things. I called the allergist and asked if it was possible that a mosquito bite could cause a fever (I'm not going so far as to think he has West Nile for goodness sake, I'm just wondering if it could be part of an allergic reaction). The doctor's assistant said, "No. Since he goes to daycare, I'm sure it's a virus." Hmmm. What a coincidence. And, what makes me laugh, is that I keep getting asked, "Are you sure it was a mosquito?" Listen, folks. I'm from Northern Minnesota. I know a mosquito when I see one.
Any opinions?
No comments:
Post a Comment